Tuesday, August 25, 2009

An eventful morning. Thankfully, though, it was not our event. Ross and I went out to the front yard to water the flower beds. Which as of now still are waiting for a nice drink. As I went for the hose I see my neighbor, Debbie, out and we stop for a visit. I hand Ross to her and we enjoy him.
As we attempt to go back to our tasks we see another neighbor wandering in the yard, frantic and on the phone. She is carrying her 18 month old son, Colton. She was holding him and he reached for something and fell. She was panicked. I rushed over to her, handing Ross back to Debbie so I could help; trying not to lose it myself. I took Colton from her because she wanted him to stay awake. The ambulance is called and I send Debbie for Joel.
Colton's Grandma soon arrives(who, I learn, formerly was the pianist for our church) to help. The neighbors have started rushing out of their homes to see who is ill. See, our neighborhood is close, we help each other out and visit with one another. I explained the situation to the few gathering so that everyone would know he is okay. The took him to Children's for xray's. I have seen lots of kids with lots of injuries and I am confident he will be just fine- but praying just the same.
As Joel and I enter our home we sigh. Ahh. What an emotional day and it was hardly past noon. Joel explains I was not the only one who was fighting back tears. He had stood in the street crying, knowing all too well the fear she was living. There were tears in the neighbors eyes as they rushed to see who was in need of the ambulance. It is nice to live in such a caring neighborhood. With all that has transpired the last few years we all have become more unified. I cannot imagine leaving- and thankfully I don't have to.

It was a scary hour that flooded our minds with memories.
When they get home I will be sure to check on both mom and baby. Your prayers for Colton and his mommy(to have peace) are greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

angmarbro said...

That is scary... I'm glad you have such an incredible neighborhood. Can't wait to come back to it!!! Love to you, Joel, and RJ