Friday, May 14, 2010

Doctors Orders?

Ross is my child, there is no denying that fact.  And since he is, he tends to be similar to me- go figure!  I am not a dairy tolerant person, so I have suspected that dairy is one of Ross' nemesis'.  Therefore Ross is not given formula or cow's milk.  Instead I serve him rice milk.  Which I actually like! 
We received notice a few weeks ago that Ross' pediatrician is expecting her 3rd child and moving to Austin.  Oh well her loss ;0)  As a result we needed to choose another doctor within the practice.  We did, Dr Iannelli(Sp?).  I made an appointment to discuss Ross' diet with him because I am well aware that different doctors often can mean differing opinions. 
I explained to the doc that Ross is not given formula or cow's milk to which he suggested soy.  With the links between diets containing large amounts of soy and spiked estrogen levels I have limited Ross' soy as well.  So Doc I introduces us to Nutrogema.  A non-dairy non-soy containing rediculously expensive formula.  He needs it until he is a year, about 6 more weeks.  Joel and I shrug and say we can handle six weeks- right?!  On the way home Ross is in dire want of a drink so I mix up some of the sample from the doc.  If only I had a video of his face!  We try again at home, no go.
This provokes Joel to read the ingredient label.  It says the following:  Corn Syrup Solids (45%)!  What!!!  The second ingredient is better, Vegetable oils!  Goodness gracious, we think table food and rice milk will be good enough for this boy!  After all, before any of our diet talk, Dr. I said Ross was right on track!  Go figure.

No comments: